52 Interesting Facts About Eyes
- Your eyes are the most complex organs you possess except for your brain.
2. Your eyes are composed of more than 2 million working parts.
3. The average person blinks 12 times per minute – about 10,000 blinks in an average day
4. Your eyes can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.
5. Only 1/6th of your eyeball is exposed to the outside world.
6. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job that they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.
7. Colour blind people do see color but confuse certain colors in certain conditions.
8. Red and Green are the most commonly confused colours among colour blind people.
9. Colour blindness is 10 times more common in males than females.
10. The eye is the only part of the human body that can function at 100% ability at any moment, day or night, without rest.
11. Your eyelids and the external muscles of your eyes need rest, the lubrication of your eyes requires replenishment, but your eyes themselves never need rest.
12. Your eyelashes have an average life span of 5 months.
13. The eyeball of a human weighs approximately 28 grams.
14. The eye of a human can distinguish 500 shades of gray.
15. People generally read 25% slower from a computer screen than from paper.
16. Men are able to read fine print better than women can.
17. The reason why your nose gets runny when you are crying is that the tears from the eyes drain into the nose.
18. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
19. The space between your eyebrows is called the Glabella.
20. Your eye will focus on about 50 things per second.
21. Your retina contains 120 million rods for “night vision”, and 8 million cones that are colour sensitive and work best under daylight conditions.
22. Your Eyes contribute towards 85% of your total knowledge.
23. About half of our brain is involved in the seeing process. Humans are very much visual animals.
24. Under the right conditions, the human eye can see the light of a candle at a distance of 14 miles.
25. Blinking helps to wash tears over our eyeballs. That keeps them clean and moist. Also, if something is about to hit our eye, we will blink automatically.
26. Our body has some natural protection for our eyes. Our eyelashes help to keep dirt out of our eyes. Our eyebrows are made to keep sweat from running into our eyes.
27. The study of the iris of the eye is called iridology.
28. The color of eye depends on the pigment in Iris.
29. The cornea is the most sensitive part of the body.
30. The skin over the eyelids is the thinnest in the body.
31. The retina, the light-sensitive nerve of the eye, is the only part nervous system, which can be examined directly.
32. Retinal blood vessels are the only blood vessels in the body, which can be visualized directly. Any damage in them indicates a bodily problem.
33. The number one cause of blindness in adults is diabetes.
34. The cornea and Lens are the only living tissues in the human body that does not contain any blood vessels.
35. The conjunctiva is a membrane that covers the human eye.
36. Research has indicated that a tie that is too tight can increase the risk of glaucoma in men.
37. All babies are colour blind when they are born.
38. If the lens in our eye doesn’t work quite right, we can get glasses to help us see. Glasses have lenses in them that work with our eye’s own lens to help us see better.
39. Some people start to sneeze if they are exposed to sunlight or have a light shined into their eyes.
40. Your eyes blink over 10 million times a year
41. In a normal life span your eyes will see almost 24 million images of the world around you.
42. Your eyelashes have an average life span of 5 months.
43. Your eyes will never wear out.
44. We shed over 30 million eyelashes over our lifetime.
45. The lens inside the eye continues to grow throughout life
46. Your eyes begin to develop 2 weeks after conception
47. Your eyes are always the same size from birth, but your nose and ears never stop growing
48. The older we are the fewer tears we produce.
49. Babies’ eyes don’t produce any tears until they are about 6-8 weeks old
50. Babies can’t blink before the age of 6 months
51. All babies are born colour blind
53. It takes some children up to 3 years to attain their final eye colour