- While graffiti is mostly illegal wherever you go, there are about 1,650 legal graffiti walls around the world.
2. “Yarn Bombing” is technically a form of graffiti which originated in Texas. It consists of covering objects, structures, or trees with decorative knitted or crocheted material.
3. The first known example of “modern style” graffiti is found in the ancient Greek city of Ephesus. The graffiti shows a handprint that somewhat resembles a heart, along with a footprint and a number. It is thought that this indicated that a brothel was nearby.
4. A “Heaven spot” is a piece of graffiti done in an area that’s hard to reach such as a rooftop or overpass. The name has a double meaning – one because it’s so high up that it’s towards the “heavens.”
The other meaning refers to the fact that it is often a serious challenge in a dangerous location, and in case of an accident, the artist could die and “go to heaven.”
5. Graffiti writers have what’s called a “black book”, which is a sketch book where they draw and plan out prospective graffiti artwork. Writers use their black books to fine tune their style and retain any ideas they may have for potential future use as a graffiti piece.
6. Graffiti used to be a term used to refer to inscriptions and figure drawings found on the walls of ancient ruins, like Pompeii or the Roman Catacombs. The eruption of Mount Vesuvius preserved the graffiti in Pompeii.
7. The earliest forms of graffiti were found on ancient Roman architecture as images carved onto walls.
8. The first known graffiti artist was Mr. Darryl McCray, street named Cornbread. In the late 1960’s, he and a group of friends started tagging their nicknames on walls around Philadelphia, which instigated the modern graffiti movement.
9. Graffiti bombing is when a large graffiti piece is put up over a short period of time. Train bombing is one common form, where a group of writers will quickly cover a train in graffiti before the authorities arrive.
10. There is a difference between graffiti and street art. In graffiti, the writers are generally not interested in the public understanding their work, instead they use it to speak to other writers. Street art is used to engage everyone.
11. People who are new to graffiti are called toys. Those with more experience and respect among other writers are called kings or queens.
Check out my posts on facts about the internet, intimate questions to ask your partner, interesting facts about Batman, fun facts about Disneyland, facts about Nike, facts about Monday, facts about Tuesday, facts about Wednesday, facts about Thursday, facts about Friday, facts about Saturday, facts about Sunday, facts about tattoos, Halloween traditions around the world, facts about graffiti, facts about Adidas, facts about Drones, interesting facts about Marijuana, Most powerful Marvel characters, wtf fun facts, interesting Disney facts, interesting facts about vampires, interesting facts about California, interesting facts about Jackie Robinson, Facts about the Mona Lisa, interesting facts about the Bermuda Triangle and facts about the piano.