Ah, women, humanity’s finest. Kind-hearted, nurturing, caring, loving, and, let’s face it, overthinkers. Women are complex creatures, continuously baffling psychologists (and men alike).
But how much do you really know about the female species? That’s exactly why you need to keep on reading these 53 psychology facts about women.
In the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, former first lady: “Women are like teabags. We don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water.” It’s time to dive into this piping-hot tea and unravel the inner workings of the female mind.
Psst: Want to learn more about the opposite sex, too? Check out these interesting facts about men.
Photo by Polina Kovaleva from Pexels
53 Psychology Facts About Women
From young girls to adulthood, being a woman is a unique, beautiful, and sometimes scary experience all wrapped in one. Alrighty, enough chit-chat, let’s look at the facts.
1. Women With Higher IQs Have a Hard Time Finding a Partner
Intelligent women would rather be single than be with the wrong person. They understand the difference between wanting to be with someone and needing to be in a relationship.
2. Women Tend to Be Attracted to Men With a Good Sense of Humor
Is he your type, or is he just funny? While food is the way to a man’s heart, it seems that laughter is the way to a woman’s.
It’s been proven women prefer a man who can make them laugh and smile over a perfectly chiseled guy with no personality. That’s because humor is associated with intelligence and honesty, which most women look for in their partners.
3. Women Feel More Attracted to Men if They See Other Women Smiling at Them
A psychology study has shown that women find men more attractive when other ladies rate them highly. This is partially based on the fact that women are wired to copy each other’s preferences. It explains why so many women swoon over celebrities like actors and boybands.
Read Next: Check out these psychology facts about love.
Photo by Jopwell from Pexels
4. Anxiety Is More Common in Younger Females
Anxiety is more common among women due to differences in brain chemistry and hormone fluctuations. However, this intensifies in younger women since people typically have more stress about their careers, studies, and futures between 18 and 24.
5. Women Who Prefer to Have More Male Friends Are Happier, Healthier, and Live Longer
It’s time to ditch your fellow ladies and hang out with the guys. As goofy as they can be (kidding), you might live longer. On a serious note, this is not a 12-year-old pick-me girl’s opinion but based on actual psychological studies. Apparently, women are happier and more relaxed having male friends. After all, happiness is linked to health.
Next Read: Check out these psychological facts about friendship.
6. Women Are More Attracted to Men With Deeper Voices
A man with a deeper voice can make him appear more masculine. It gives men an aura of power, dominance, and sexual allure – what all women are attracted to.
Photo by Emma Bauso from Pexels
7. Women Look Down and Put Their Hair Behind Their Ears When Shy or Blushing
If this sounds like a scene in a Disney movie where the princess meets the prince for the first time, you’re spot on. Women tend to look down when shy because they want to avoid making eye contact, which is a sign of attraction.
8. Women Can Remember Faces Better Than Males
Women typically outperform men in facial recognition tests. Based on eye-tracking technology, this results from women focusing 10% – 40% more times than men do on new faces.
9. Psychology Says That Females Are More Likely to Say, “I’m Sorry”
This one might come as a shocker since women are often more reluctant to admit when they are wrong (generally speaking). However, recent psychological studies suggest that women apologize more in their lifetime than men.
It’s believed that women tend to think that the person at the receiving end is more deserving of an apology.
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
10. Females Have Twice as Many Pain Receptors in Their Body
Studies have revealed that the female body has a more intense natural response to painful stimuli than males due to a greater nerve density in their bodies. Thanks to this, women are more likely to be recommended for opioid treatment by health professionals.
11. Females Are Better at Multitasking
Most people know that women have this superhuman ability, but they don’t understand it. Engaging in multitasking requires high cognitive energy, which women possess. Females are also less affected by interference when engaging in specific tasks than men.
12. Women Process Thoughts and Information Quicker Than Males
Considering the above fact, this one should come as no surprise. Recent research says that although the female brain is smaller, they do more with less. Women can process information about five times faster than men.
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
13. Women Take Longer to Make Decisions But Are More Likely to Stick to It
We’ve all seen the jokes about women taking forever to decide what to wear, what to eat, where to go, etc. This is because when a woman has to choose something, she adopts a decision-making approach, analyzes the pros and cons, and confirms the decision’s validity before finally making a choice.
14. Females Deal With Stress By Socializing With Others, While Males Do the Opposite
When a woman is stressed, she prefers the company of others to try and forget about her problems. In contrast, men want to hide their feelings and be alone but might even resort to physical violence in a social setting.
15. Men Use the Left Side of the Brain for Problem-solving, While Females Use Both
Yes. Women use both sides of their brains for problem-solving. They “seem to have stronger connections between their logical and intuitive parts,” according to an associate Professor of Radiology at the University of Pennsylvania. The left side of the brain focuses more on verbal reasoning, which men use for problem-solving.
Photo by SHVETS production from Pexels
16. 80% of Females Use Silence to Express Pain
For many women, silence is like a coping mechanism, but it could also be that they want to suppress the pain by pretending it’s not hurting. Pain is usually associated with failure and disappointment, and society has wired women to avoid these things.
17. Women Are More Likely to Suffer From Animal Phobia
Women are more likely to develop phobias for animals like snakes and spiders than men. While many factors led to this sex difference, it could be that social transmission of fears and phobias is more common among women.
18. A Woman Was Named the Smartest Person in the World
In 1986, the Guinness Book of World Records recorded that Marilyn vos Savant had the highest IQ in the world. She was born in 1946 and became a renowned magazine columnist and writer with a high IQ of 190.
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
19. On Average, Women Can Keep a Secret for Up to 47 Hours and 15 Minutes
How researchers figure these things out is up for debate, but women can’t keep a secret for more than two days. Women like sharing things and are always keen to divulge secrets, especially when asked not to share them!
20. Females Learn to Read and Talk Faster Than Males and Generally have a Greater Vocabulary
Boys often spend less time processing words and are more prone to skipping sentences or passages than girls. Also, surveys have revealed that women spend more time reading, resulting in a greater vocabulary.
21. Females Can Understand and Read Emotions Better Than Their Male Counterparts
Several meta-analyses on gender differences have concluded that women are superior in decoding feelings. This makes sense since women always ask everyone if they’re okay, while most men won’t pick up when you’re upset or angry.
Photo by Kindel Media from Pexels
22. Women Like Opening Up and Sharing Their Problems When They’re Upset, As This Makes Them Feel Better
Women prefer the company of loved ones and sharing their feelings when upset. It helps them feel like they are not going through something alone. Also, knowing someone is going through something similar can be reassuring and comforting.
23. Women Communicate More With Non-Verbal Gestures to Loved Ones
We communicate through body language, facial expressions, and gestures. And women prefer to communicate like this when it comes to their children, family, and friends.
Non-verbal communication can enhance a female’s ability to be relatable, highly interactive, trustworthy and helps them establish meaningful interactions.
24. Women Are More Prone to Mood Swings
You probably saw this one coming, but there’s a simple and good reason, though. Part of being a woman is having to experience monthly hormone changes. This is all thanks to menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause.
Photo by cottonbro studio from Pexels
25. Females Think More About Those Who Ignore Them Vs. Those Who Constantly Talk to Them
You know the saying “people always want what they can’t have”? While this is natural human behavior, it also applies to women who are ignored by others. They feel they haven’t won the person over yet and must work harder to get their attention. Whereas those constantly giving them attention have already been won over.
26. Women and Men Get Jealous Equally, So No, They’re Not Crazy
Women are always painted as the jealous best friend or ex who is so bitter and unpleasant to be around. While this stereotype is considered true to many men (and Hollywood producers), it couldn’t be further from the truth.
In relationships, women are more jealous of their rival’s appearance, whereas men are more jealous of their status.
27. Three Out of Four Teenage Girls Feel Depressed After Looking at a Fashion Magazine
While this fact is more on the sad side, the reality is that girls feel depressed after looking at a fashion magazine for only three minutes. Studies find that women feel insecure about numerous body parts after seeing a fashion model.
Photo by RDNE Stock project from Pexels
28. Women Feel What Others Feel and Can Empathize More
Abundant research suggests that women are more empathic than men. A bigger portion of the female brain is dedicated to understanding communication on a more emotional and complex level.
29. Women Feel Increased Stress and Anxiety When They’re Not Sexually Satisfied
Increased stress and anxiety levels are one of the main outcomes of sexual dissatisfaction. It can negatively affect their mental well-being and cause physical discomfort and pain during intercourse.
30. 70% of Female Serial Killers Acted for Financial Gain
In the U.S., only 8.6% of known serial killers are female, and 70% of these women were motivated to murder for financial gain. In comparison, only 28.8% of male serial killers were motivated by financial gain.
Photo by Asep Saeful Bahri from Pexels
31. Most Women Would Deny This, But They Love Receiving Compliments
Women live for compliments! And if they could, they would want to receive them all day, but will most time vehemently deny this. It boosts their confidence and makes them feel appreciated.
32. Women Who Use Humor to Cope With Everyday Situations Are Happier
A recent study found that women who use humor to manage simple things are much more optimistic in their marriages. However, this can apply to any situation, as taking everything too seriously can lead to unnecessary stress.
33. 68% of Women Have Admitted They’d Have An Affair If They Knew How to Get Away With It
Women typically cheat because they desire more respect, empathy, adoration, devotion, and conversation. Studies show that only 13% -15% of women cheat. However, 68% of them would consider it if they could get away with cheating.
Photo by RDNE Stock project from Pexels
34. Women in Relationships Love it When Their Partners Listen to Their Rant
This ties in with the fact that women prefer a partner who pays attention, listens to, and remembers what they share with them. Even if this means you have to listen to her rants. It comforts them knowing that their partner is interested and wants to learn more.
35. Women Experience More Nightmares and Emotional Dreams Than Men
Sadly, women are more likely to be sexually assaulted, abused, and harassed than men. This and suppressed emotions could all be why women are prone to nightmares and emotional dreams.
36. Females Have More Tastebuds Than Men
This might be the flex of the century, but women have more tastebuds on their tongues than men. 35% of women can call themselves “supertasters,” while this is true for only 15% of men. This means they can identify flavors like bitter, sweet, and sour more strongly than others.
Photo by Nathan Cowley from Pexels
37. Women in Relationships Do Not Like Their Partners to Overpraise Another Woman, Even Their Mothers
This one is pretty obvious. Women want to feel special, appreciated, and like they are the only woman who deserves praise from their partners. It comes down to the fact that women tend to be more competitive.
38. A Woman’s Intuition Is No Myth
Women have a strong sense of knowing when something feels off without a logical explanation. This is what we call a woman’s intuition. It’s a mystifying, even eerie, knack for knowing what others are feeling and thinking, much like a psychic.
39. Women Do Not Appreciate Being Stared at Unless They Are Already Staring at You
Stares from strangers make women feel uncomfortable and scared. Staring can be seen as offensive by women if they do not stare at you first.
Photo by MART PRODUCTION from Pexels
40. Women Hate Conflict But Hate a Lack of Response Even More
As much as women hate conflict, one thing erks them more: unresponsiveness. It shows them you’re unwilling to engage, listen, and be supportive.
41. Most Women Would Choose Stylish Presentations Over Comfort
You know what they say: “Suffer for beauty”. You often look at a lady with heels as high as the Eiffel Tower and wonder, “Why should she go through all this pain?” She simply chooses to look her most fabulous rather than settle for comfort.
42. While it Takes Men Only 8.2 Seconds to Fall In Love, It Takes Women 15 Days
It takes much longer for women to fall in love than men. They first must properly assess feelings of love based on physical attraction, the potential partner’s personality, and other factors.
43. Females Spend Nearly a Year Deciding What to Wear
Apart from women taking longer to make decisions, the biggest reason for this is that women choose outfits based on how the clothing looks on their bodies.
Photo by Ron Lach from Pexels
44. Women Are More Attractive in Red
Thanks to social conditioning, men find women more attractive when wearing red clothing or lipstick. This is based on the connection between red and sexual attraction, as it was historically seen as a symbol of fertility.
45. Women Really Love Hot Showers
A woman will shower in hot temperatures that men could only dream of. Jokes aside, female beings have significantly colder skins, but a desire for comfort drives this preference.
46. Females Think About Their Appearance at Least Nine Times Per Day
One explanation is that women have been socially conditioned to be more interested in appearance. Appearance is far more important to women than men, thus causing them to spend more time looking at the mirror.
Photo by ArtHouse Studio from Pexels
47. A Measly 4% Of All women Consider Themselves Beautiful
Dove recently conducted a global survey where researchers asked women if they felt beautiful about themselves, and only 4% said yes.
48. According to a Study, Women Are More Responsive to Romantic Cues When Their Stomach Is Full
The reason behind this fact is pretty simple: It’s hard to focus on anything else when you’re hungry.
49. Studies Show That Women Are More Attracted to Men Who Wear Blue
While men are more attracted to women who wear red, the opposite is true for women. Ladies are more attracted to men who wear blue because the color is viewed as non-threatening, tranquil, secure, and orderly.
Photo by Klaus Nielsen from Pexels
50. Male Brains Are 10% Bigger Than Females But Work Less Efficiently
The reason why male brains are bigger is mainly due to the effects of sex hormones on brain development. However, bigger doesn’t always mean better; the female brain contains more grey matter that helps our bodies process information.
51. Women Feel Good After Winning An Argument Because of Good Hormone Balance
See, this is why ladies always need to end an argument by being right. This is linked to the high dose of Serotonin and Dopamine to restore Estrogen (important female sex hormones) that gets released when arguing.
52. A Woman Speaks in a Higher-pitched Tone When Attracted to a Man
You’ve all seen this: your female friend has a crush on someone, and suddenly, their voice sounds like they’ve inhaled helium. This could result from a woman’s nerves getting the best of her, as the adrenaline from being nervous makes your voice go higher.
53. Hugging a Woman for 20 Seconds or More Improves Her Happiness and Self-confidence
It only takes 20 seconds of hugging for a woman to feel instantly better. During this time, the body releases the “love hormone” oxytocin due to physical touch, improving bonding and trust between people.