Lady Liberty is a symbol of freedom across the world. Here is some history as well as 19 interesting facts about the Statue of Liberty.
Statue of Liberty History
Located in New York, the Statue of liberty’s history indicates that it is the picture of the Roman Goddess of Freedom dedicated in a large ceremony on October 28, 1886.
The Statue’s official name is “Liberty Enlightening The World”, originally a gift from the citizens of France. She was designed by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi, with the idea of showing freedom and democracy.
However, only her right hand and torch were finished by1876 and both were displayed at the American centennial exhibition.
In 1878 in France, the head of the statue was displayed at World’s Fair.
19 Interesting Facts about the Statue of Liberty
- The total length of the Statue of Liberty is 151 feet.
2. The height of the Statue of Liberty is doubled by the pedestal on which it stands.
3. The Statue of Liberty is made of copper.
4. The Statue’s armature was designed by the same man who designed the Eiffel Tower.
5. Every year almost 4.2 million people visit this amazing Statue.
6. The Statue of Liberty was originally reddish-brown but turned green over the next 30 years.
7. The Statue of Liberty weighs 200,000 kilograms which is more than 50 adult elephants.
8. The universal concept of Liberty is based on the 7 Spikes present on the Crown. The 7 spikes represent the 7 Continents and 7 Oceans of the world.
9. The Roman Goddess Libertas was the real inspiration for the design of this statue.
10. On the Tablet of Lady Liberty the following words are inscribed:
“JULY IV MDCCLXXVI”
This is the Roman Numerical Date of the American Independence day, July 4, 1776.
11. The size of the Lady Liberty Shoe is 879.
12. General William Tecumseh Sherman was the person who selected the location for the Statue of Liberty
13. Lady Liberty’s Lobby Museum is the place where you can find the original torch of the Statue because it was replaced in 1984 with a copper torch covered in Gold Leaf.
14. It is estimated that every year the Statue of Liberty is struck by 600 bolts of lightning.
15. 500,000 dollars was the estimated cost to build the Statue of Liberty.
16. Over 300 different types of instruments, hammers, and construction materials were used to build the structure.
17. Visitors can’t see the feet of Lady Liberty. The reason for this is the placement and height of the pedestal.
19. You would need about 2 Million US dollars if you wanted to build the Statue of Liberty today.
26 Interestig Facts about the Taj Mahal
Related Posts about New York: