To most people, Tuesday is just another day, and that’s mostly because it is. However, one thing most of us can agree on is that Tuesday doesn’t suck as bad as Monday!
Depending on where in the world you’re from, Tuesday could be considered an unlucky day, especially if the 13th falls on a Tuesday.
Globally, Tuesday is a day with a lot of rich meaning in its name, with many different places having many various meanings behind their names for Tuesday. Regardless of where you’re from or what Tuesday usually means to you, let’s have a look at all the interesting facts there are about Tuesday.
- Tuesday gets its English name from the Old English Tiwesdæg and the Middle English Tewesday, meaning ‘Tiw’s Day.” Tiw was the Norse God of Single Combat, Victory, and Heroic Glory. Those Norse Gods are so cool!
- Unsurprisingly, Tiw is associated with the Roman God of War, Mars. This is why Tuesday contains a reference to Mars in other languages derived from Latin. Like “Mardi” in French, “Martes” in Spanish and “Martedi” in Italian.
- However, in Japanese the word for Tuesday (ka youbi) means “fire day,” in relation to Mars the planet (kasei) meaning “fire star.”
- In some Slavic languages, Tuesday originates from an Old Church Slavonic word literally meaning “the second.”
- For many employees, Tuesday is apparently the most productive day of the working week.
- On the flip side, Tuesday is also the day where there’s the highest number of job applications submitted. I guess people who have a bad Monday don’t always have a better Tuesday!
- Tuesday is the day of the week that is least likely to have a Christmas Eve on it.
- Although interestingly enough, it is the day of the week that has the second-highest chance of having a Christmas on it, with the first being Thursday.
- The Greeks consider Tuesday to be an unlucky day as this was the day that Constantinople Fell.
- Likewise, Spanish speaking parts of the world also find Tuesday to be an unlucky day.
- For both Greek and Spanish speaking people alike, the 13th day of a month is considered unlucky if it falls on a Tuesday, rather than a Friday.
- However, in Judaism, Tuesday is considered to be a lucky day, because in the first chapter of Genesis, the paragraph about Tuesday has the words “it was good” in it twice.
- According to a study conducted in America, Californian people are less likely to barbecue on a Tuesday than any other day of the week.
- In astrology, Tuesday is associated with the planet Mars, with the two sharing the same symbol. As Mars rules over Aries and Scorpio, these signs are also associated with Tuesday.
- In the Thai Solar Calendar the color associated with Tuesday is pink.
- Tuesday the 29th of October 1929 is one of the world’s most infamous Tuesdays, known as Black Tuesday. This is the day of the Great Stock Market Crash, the event which catalyzed the Great Depression in the run-up to World War II.
- Super Tuesday is the day on which many U.S. states choose to hold their Presidential primary elections.
- Tuesday is also the day when Barack Obama was elected as the first African American President of the United States of America.
- The second Tuesday of every month is commonly known as Patch Tuesday, as this is the day of the month when Microsoft releases their patches.
- And whilst we’re talking about Tuesdays we can’t forget Shrove Tuesday, the day that precedes the first day of Lent in the Western Christian Calendar. More importantly, this day is also commonly known as Pancake Day.
- Tuesday is the day of the week when the Allied Forces stormed Nazi-held French beaches at the commencement of the D-Day attacks during World War II, on June 6th
- Uranus was first discovered on a Tuesday by William Herschel on March 13, 1781.